Saturday, July 05, 2008

One Local Summer: Week 5

We had some friends stop in for dinner on their way home from dropping their daughter off at camp in Central Pennsylvania this week, and we enjoyed a delicious homegrown meal.

Wine: Boordy Vineyards Chardonnay.

Roast heritage turkey from our farm; couscous with mini bulbing onions, basil and garlic from our garden and chevre from our milk; salad greens, carrots, onions, and kohlrabi from our garden topped with a balsamic vinaigrette. The bread is an Italian bread local to my in-laws and brought down on a visit—ain't nothin' like Jersey bread.

For dessert we enjoyed fresh raspberries from our farm, whipped cream from our milk, and fresh shoofly and peach pie from a local Pennsylvania market where our friends were visiting. As far as I can recall, this was the first time I've had shoofly pie, and I'm a total convert. Yummmm. The earthy density of shoofly was the perfect foil to the raspberries and just-barely-sweetened whipped cream. The photo isn't very appetizing because, as you can see, I've already heartily tucked into it as I remembered to take a picture. Ummm, and yes, I'll admit to having three slices of that pie, though in my defense, they were little personal pan pies and tiny slices.

*Note to self: must learn to make shoofly pie.

No comments: