Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Touching the Earth

I've been working in the vegetable garden--raking out rocks, staking out plots, planting seeds, pulling weeds, all that fun stuff.

This week, I've gotten my onions, carrots, lettuce, parsley, lavendar, and chives planted. Jim turned over the blueberry beds with big bags of peat, so those are set. I weeded and mulched the apples and pears and ordered the raspberries, blackberries and strawberries.

I fed the hydrangeas, bulbs and roses with the "tones" as I mulched the flower beds this week. I use the organic "tones" from Espoma, which have been wonderful for me the past several years. The one product I haven't tried because I can't find it locally is the turf tone, which I'd really like to try. At this point, I've pretty much resigned myself to overseeding the lawn in the spring and fall, pulling a few weeds by hand when I feel motivated and embracing, if somewhat half-heartedly, the "wish flowers" that the kids so love--the dreaded dandelion gone to seed.

All in all, a very productive week.

No comments: