Saturday, August 16, 2008

One Local Summer: Week 11

Breakfast is really my favorite meal of the day. I like dinner food, but not nearly as much as breakfast food, and I think a good brunch buffet is really the most perfect thing in the world.

Here's one of our zero mile breakfasts: fried quick potatoes and an onion, tomato, mozzarella omelet.

The fresh mozzarella I made didn't keep well texture-wise for eating fresh, but it melted beautifully, as you can see in the photo. The omelet sports sauteed mini puplette onions and sungold tomatoes. I like to caramelize the onions with some sea salt before adding the tomatoes to cook down just a bit. Then add eggs, cheese, and cook down before folding. Yummm.

For quick potatoes, heat a high-heat oil like peanut in a skillet on medium high heat until hot but not smoking, then grate the potatoes directly into the oil to barely cover bottom of the pan—too many and they won't cook properly. Turn the heat down to medium after a minute or two and cook until golden brown; flip and repeat. Salt and pepper to taste. These are a super-quick version of hash browns, and they come out light and crispy, especially when made with fresh potatoes. Store-bought potatoes can be disappointing and starchy, but that's just cuz I'm spoiled.

1 comment:

Connie said...

OK, now I'm ready for breakfast...I think I can smell it.