Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Too Late!

Madeline wrote: "I get an apron?! I had forgotten that beautiful offer. :) Listen, as someone who hates her sewing machine more than you, you are off the hook (or tension:) if you want. Play with all those animals instead."

Well, my dear, it's too late. They're already done, or nearly so. I still need to get ribbon or some such to make the tie.



For those outside the loop, Madeline had this beautiful skirt that she picked up somewhere but was not happy with, so she wanted to pass it along to me. I also thought the skirt was lovely but knew from many fitting room experiences that these style skirts always look much better on the hanger than they do on me. But I took it anyway because I thought it would make a beautiful apron, and I liked the idea of sister-aprons on two unschoolin' farmin' mamas.

When I got home, I picked out the stitches along the side seams of the skirt to create two apron bottoms. I chose some vintage chenille fabric that I salvaged from an old bedspread. We don't know where it originally came from, but we found the spread in Jim's grandfather's old boarding house at the beach just before he sold it. I worked parts of it into Julia's baby quilt and the quilt square we made for Hannah Jenner's quilt.

The lace was hand-tattedcrocheted by my great-grandmother, who would be tickled, I think, at the idea that her lace now graces two farm-house aprons made from scraps of an old chenille bedspread from a boarding house and a re-purposed skirt. And Madeline, if you give me any grief about using the lace, I shall assign you to read the short story "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker if you haven't already, in which case, there you go.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Those aprons are sweet. That is lovely crocheted lace, perhaps, but it's not tatting. I'm sorry to tell you.

Danielle said...

Huh! Go figure. That's what was told to me when my mom passed it along. How do you tell the difference?

Danielle said...

I just found this site that has various photos, but I'd still love to hear your explanation.

Carolyn said...

love the aprons!

Ren Allen said...

How cool! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to picture you and Madeline working on your farms in your lovely aprons.:)

Madeline Rains said...

Ohhh! (That is me squealing in joy!)
This will make me want to cook on those days when I need some inspiration! I am soo excited and grateful. : )